Pandemic and Post-Pandemic Foreclosure Help

Topic Menu

Pausing or Lowering Mortgage Payments

During the COVID-19 pandemic, new options were created to help homeowners struggling to pay their mortgages and avoid foreclosure. If you cannot afford your mortgage payments, or have fallen behind, you may have options to pause or reduce your payments.

To learn more about your options, you can contact your mortgage servicer or a housing counselor.

Housing counselors are free. You should never pay a fee for help working with your lender. Use a counselor who is certified by the Michigan State Housing Development Authority (MSHDA) or the U.S. Department of Housing and Urban Development (HUD). You can find HUD-certified housing counselors in Michigan on the Housing Counseling: Michigan page on HUD’s website.

Your mortgage servicer is the company where you send your mortgage payments. If you don’t know who your servicer is, you can check your monthly mortgage statement. For more information, you can review Help for Homeowners on the Consumer Financial Protection Bureau’s website.