For complete results, select the county where you live or where your case is filed:

Select county
x
x

Child Development and Care Program (CDC)

Contents

    The Child Development and Care Program (CDC) pays a percentage of your childcare expenses. Generally, you must show why you need someone to take care of your children. If you need childcare because you are working, attending training for work, going to school, or receiving medical treatment you might be eligible for CDC.

    Qualifying for CDC

    There is no asset test for CDC, but there are household income limits that are based on household size. There are exceptions to the household income limits. If the childcare expenses are for a child living in foster care, a child receiving FIP, or a child with a current protective services order, the household income limits do not apply.

    Childcare Rates

    CDC will not cover all of your childcare costs. What the Michigan Department of Health and Human Services (MDHHS) pays is not based on what you are charged. Instead, MDHHS has set rates based on the age of your children and the type of childcare provider (child care center, family and group homes, unlicensed provider).

    Once your rate is determined, MDHHS pays a portion of that rate based on your income. For example, if you live in a household of three people and your gross household income is $1,990 per month, MDHHS will pay 70% of the MDHHS rate for your childcare costs. You must pay the other 30% of the MDHHS rate, as well as the difference between the MDHHS rate and what your provider actually charges.

    Although CDC does not cover all of your childcare costs, the amount that it does pay can be very helpful to your monthly budget. You should consider applying even if you are not sure how much will be covered. You can view the CDC Income Eligibility chart to estimate how much childcare CDC will pay for your family.

    How to Apply

    To apply for CDC, submit an application to MDHHS. The application process takes around 60 days to complete. The fastest way to apply is online through the MDHHS website, MI Bridges. You can also apply in person at your local MDHHS office. Your local MDHHS office will supply you with a general application form, but it may be easier to print an application form and fill it out completely before going to MDHHS.

    When you apply, you will be asked to prove important parts of your application. This means you may have to show documents like birth certificates, social security cards, state ID cards, driver licenses, or passports. You may also need to take documents that show your income and expenses, like bank statements and proof of rent (such as a lease). These expense documents must be less than 30 days old.

    A MDHHS specialist will contact you and set up a conference to go over your CDC application. You should bring your important documents to this conference. The conference is also an opportunity to learn about your rights. Be sure to ask the MDHHS specialist any questions you have about the application process or your public benefits.