Changing or Ending a Personal Protection Order When You Are the Petitioner

Topic Menu

You may have a Personal Protection Order (PPO) you want to end before it expires. Or, you may want to keep the PPO but change one or more of its protections. In either situation, you can file a motion to ask the judge to change or end the PPO.

You can use our Do-It-Yourself Motion to Modify, Extend, or Terminate a Personal Protection Order (PPO) tool to prepare your motion.

File your motion in the court that issued the PPO. There will be a court hearing within 14 days of when you file your motion. At the hearing, the judge will decide whether to grant your motion.

Why Would I Want the Judge to Change the PPO?

If the PPO has a protection you no longer want, you can ask the judge to remove it. If there is a protection that isn’t in the PPO that you now want, you can ask the judge to add it.

Maybe your situation has changed since you got your PPO. Maybe the Respondent has started doing something to you that they didn’t do before and isn’t covered in your PPO. Maybe your parenting time arrangements are different, and you want to be able to speak to the Respondent about your children or allow the Respondent to pick up and drop off the kids at your home.

Or, maybe you have decided you want the PPO to end. Remember, even if you agree to the behavior, the Respondent can still be arrested and charged with contempt of court for a PPO violation. Because of this, it is important to let the judge know if your situation is different and how you want your PPO changed. Only the judge can change or end the PPO.

Think carefully before you ask the judge to change or end your PPO. Otherwise, you may need to file other motions in the future.

What Should I Include in My Motion?

You should tell the judge if you want the PPO ended or changed. If you want the PPO changed, state what parts you want changed. You should also tell the judge why you want the PPO ended or changed. The judge will want to make sure you are not being pressured by the Respondent.

If you’re under 18 and not emancipated, you need a “next friend” to file your motion for you. A “next friend” is an adult you trust, usually a parent or other relative. Include the name of your “next friend” in your motion.

What Happens After I Get the Forms?

After you complete and print your forms, go to Filing to Change or End Your Personal Protection Order and read the instructions to learn what to do next. To learn what to expect in court, watch the Going to Court video.

Finding a Lawyer

You might decide you want a lawyer to help you. Whether you have a low income or not, you can use the Guide to Legal Help to find lawyers in your area. If you have a low income, you may qualify for free legal services. If you are not able to get free legal services but can’t afford high legal fees, consider hiring a lawyer for part of your case instead of the whole thing. This is called limited scope representation. To learn more, read Limited Scope Representation (LSR): A More Affordable Way to Hire a Lawyer. To find a limited scope lawyer, follow this link to the State Bar of Michigan lawyer directory. This link lists lawyers who offer limited scope representation. You can narrow the results to lawyers in your area by typing in your county, city, or zip code at the top of the page. You can also narrow the results by topic by entering the kind of lawyer you need (divorce, estate, etc.) at the top of the page.

Leave this site Safely

You can quickly leave this website by clicking the “X” in the top right or by pressing the Escape key twice. If you’re worried someone may be watching what you do online, be sure to regularly clear your browser history.