Requesting an Accommodation if You Are a Person with a Disability and Have to Go to Court

Topic Menu

Michigan courts are committed to open access to their services. If you are a person with a disability and have to go to court, you can ask the court for an accommodation so you can fully take part in the court activity. This can be done if you have a hearing, jury duty, mediation or other event in a Michigan court.

To make your request, use our Do-It-Yourself Request for Accommodations and mail or deliver it to the court administrator in the court where the activity will take place.

You should mail or deliver your Request for Accommodations as far in advance as possible. This is so the court can consider it and arrange for the accommodation(s) if it grants your request. If you don’t file your request before the court activity starts, but the activity is on-going, (like jury duty or a court hearing that lasts more than a day), file your request as soon as you can.

Examples of accommodations that may be available are:

  • Interpreter for deaf (such as a sign language interpreter)

  • Assistive listening device

  • Handicap accessibility (such as use of a service animal)

  • Other accommodations depending on your need

Each court has an Americans with Disabilities Act (ADA) Coordinator. You can find your court’s ADA Coordinator based on your county on Michigan’s One Court of Justice website.