The Human Development Commission (HDC) is located in the Thumb of Michigan and serves the residents of Huron, Lapeer, Sanilac, and Tuscola Counties. HDC operates more than 130 programs to meet the needs of people in the Thumb community, especially those struggling financially or needing assistance to become/remain self-sufficient. The 130 programs can be categorized into a few key areas:
- Senior / Aging Services – Provides services to older adults.
- Emergency Services – Assists people with heat, utility and food emergencies.
- Nutrition Programs – Various food programs serving children, adults, and seniors.
- Housing Programs – Includes home purchase / repair, foreclosure prevention, and homeless services.
- Youth Education – Programs to strengthen our youth from birth through 5th grade.
- Victim Services / Assault Crisis Center – Shelter, counseling, and assistance to victims of sexual and domestic violence.
- Caro Thumbody Express – Public bus transportation in certain areas of Tuscola County.
- Wear-a-Bouts Resale / Consignment Store – Features gently used items as well as new Michigan-made products.
- Thumb Area Senior News – Monthly newspaper for older adults in the Thumb area.