The Fair Housing Center of Metropolitan Detroit (FHCMD)is a private, non-profit, citizen based organization - with IRS 501 (c)  tax exempt status - that has worked to help ensure equal housing opportunities throughout the metropolitan Detroit area.
- Assists in the investigation of complaints of unlawful housing discrimination;
- Refers some housing discrimination complainants to other agencies or legal resources;
- Initiates negotiations, conciliations and litigations to help resolve unequal housing disputes;
- Provides homeseekers with information about the sales and rental market and assists homeseekers who are considering non-traditional housing choices;
- Conducts research projects and housing surveys to evaluate fair housing practices or assist in industry self-testing programs in the sales, rental, or mortgage lending markets;
- Provides consulting and program implementation services to employers, businesses, units of government, and housing providers that are seeking to develop or implement fair housing programs;
- Conducts training and public information programs on fair housing issues;
- Works with neighborhood groups, community organizations, and other service providers to help promote and achieve more racially and ethnically diverse neighborhoods.