2-1-1 Northeast Michigan Call Center operates a free, easy-to-remember telephone number that connects people in need with people who can help—24 hours a day, 7 days a week, 365 days a year in over 180 languages. 2-1-1 is the health and human service equivalent of 9-1-1 to give or get help operated by United Way. 2-1-1 can be reached via landline, wireless, or VOIP. 2-1-1 Call Centers are required to become nationally accredited; staff is extensively trained and nationally certified. The types of services 2-1-1 references include:
- Basic Human Needs: food banks, clothing, shelters, utility assistance, and much more.
- Physical and Mental Health: medical information lines, crisis intervention services, support groups counseling, etc.
- Employment Support: unemployment benefits, financial assistance, job training, etc.
- Support for seniors and persons with disabilities: home health care, adult day care, independent living, workforce training, Meals on Wheels, etc.
- Support for children, families and youth: quality childcare, Success by 6, after school programs, summer camps, mentoring, tutoring, etc.
- Crisis Calls: suicidal thoughts, domestic violence, etc.