HDC is one of approximately 1,000 Community Action Agencies (CAAs) serving the U.S., Puerto Rico, and the Virgin Islands. CAAs were the centerpiece of President Lyndon Johnson’s “War on Poverty” and founded as non-profit organizations that fight poverty at the local level. CAAs cover all cities and counties in the country and are a primary source of support for low-income individuals and seniors who wish to become self-sufficient and/or live independently.
Since its inception in 1965 as a Michigan private, non-profit corporation, HDC has provided human services to the communities and residents of Huron, Lapeer, Sanilac and Tuscola, in rural Michigan. Our mission statement is Restoring Hope by Helping People and Changing Lives.
HDC is governed by a 24-member Board of Directors, comprised of equal representation from local government (public officials), the private sector (businesses, faith-based organizations, etc.), and consumers (low-income, seniors, handicapped). The Board receives input from six Advisory Councils that are comprised of individuals who are interested in particular areas of service.
In the 2009/2010 fiscal year, HDC served 8,796 households, totaling over 20,000 individuals. Many of these received multiple services.
HDC operates over 130 programs, each fulfilling different needs within the communities we serve. Our various programs can be categorized into a few key areas:
- Senior / Aging Services – Provides services to older adults.
- Emergency Services – Assists people with heat, utility and food emergencies.
- Nutrition Programs – Various food programs serving children, adults, and seniors.
- Housing Programs – Includes home purchase / repair, foreclosure prevention, and homeless services.
- Youth Education – Programs to strengthen our youth from birth through 5th grade.
- Victim Services / Assault Crisis Center – Shelter, counseling, and assistance to victims of sexual and domestic violence.
- Caro Thumbody Express – Public bus transportation in certain areas of Tuscola County.
- Wear-a-Bouts Resale / Consignment Store – Features gently used items as well as new Michigan-made products.
- Thumb Area Senior News – Monthly newspaper for older adults in the Thumb area.